Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Lovely Hanoi

It's like I was thrown back to Indonesia circa 80s in a good sense. I had the privilege of visiting this retro city for 5 days from 17-22 Oct 2007. During five full days there I was roaming around the city with my friend, Thao, riding her stylish piaggio scooter :)

I was planning to record the experience here since I got so impressed by the city, but it turned out I am really bad at remembering details. I realized this so I was taking some notes there. But still it's not easy, unless I can take some time to sit and write while browsing again on my notebook. But before that, I should just post this one, in case I never get the chance to ever write it, like never ever :-p

Without my notebook, I can only spell correctly the name of Hoan Kiem Lake. I fell in love at first sight with it. Being located in the center of the city the lake serves as natural landmark perfectly. The name, meaning returned/restored sword, has its own legendary history. There was this king or general who received sword from the king of turtle descendant of the lake, and had to return the sword after he won the battle in this lake.

Other than that it's the food, but unfortunately I can't pronounce any single of them. Oh gosh I'm so poor at details. It was just great. And then, it's the warm hospitality of my friends there that was the champion.

So, before I go to other adorations to the city (probably in later entries), I just want to express my big gratitude to Thao, and her sisters: Hien and Hiep, and their cute cousin Thang (gosh forgive me coz I really don't know the spelling). For they let me stayed in their cozy house and cooked beautiful meals for me. We also had great time watching Audrey Tatou's movie in French (luckily the subtitle was English), which had a French title none of us understood. And I also thank my other friends like Hien, Van, and Binh. You had all been great in receiving me. and I wish a great2 happy marriage for dear Van.

See you again later Hanoi and great friends :-)

2 comments:

  1. ahhh yogi...i miss our japan days. i went to vietnam but to saigon last year too. i really wish to viswit jakarta.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too!!! remember those times we biked around Kodaira with red leaves everywhere? oh goshhh how can you not miss them. Please2 do come here, next June is perfect. Flying from Singapore to Jakarta is nothing, then I will take a leave from office too and we can go around Bali and Jogja. Everything will be taken care here, you just need to get your sexy butt here, Tish :-p

    ReplyDelete